A control measure is an action taken to reduce the likelihood and/or the consequence of a hazardous event occurring.
A control measure is needed for all the risk assessments as it will control the potential hazard and lower the risk score into a safe zone.
It is recommended that the control measure completely removes the risk, however, this is not always realistic. If you are unable to get rid of the risk completely you will need to assess what controls you can use to make harm unlikely
HSE recommends the following practical steps:
- Trying a less risky option
- Preventing access to the hazards
- Organising work to reduce exposure to the hazard
- Issuing protective equipment
- Providing welfare facilities such as first aid and washing facilities
- Involving and consulting workers